Finding a flight to get your kayak on is one of the hardest things to do. Most airline employees have never been faced with checking in a whitewater kayak. Therefore they have no real idea what to do with it. Below is a list of some of the airlines I could find that take kayaks. Most of these conditions are for sea kayaks and not whitewater kayaks.
Some advice on finding flights for you kayaks, call the airline and then call again. Just because one person says yes does not mean they know what they are talking about. Speak to several people and get names if you can. This will help make sure you and your kayak end up on the same flight.
- Kayak American Airlines: $75 Must be no higher the 12 inches, 30 inches wide, and 138 inches long.
- Continental: $37 as freight in the lower 48.
- Delta: Will take a kayak as luggage only if it folds.
- Eastern Airlines: $137 as cargo.
- Northwest: $111 Must be no higher than 12 inches, 26 inches wide, and 12 feet long.
- Pan American World Airways: $185.00 as cargo for 12 foot long kayak.