A primer for Conversation at the Beijing Olympics
This is from the official website of the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. It’s a list of suggested responses for possible questions that might come up for Chinese folks interacting with Westerners. So don’t be surprised if you run into a lot of Chinese folks willing to agree with everything you say…
1. Westerner: Do you agree with me?
Chinese Local: Absolutely, I agree with you.
2. Westerner: China is developing so quickly.
Chinese Local: Exactly.
3. Westerner: Chinese food is so good.
Chinese Local: I feel the same way.
4.Westerner:Chinese culture is very different from western culture.
Chinese Local: You’re so right.
5. Westerner: Chinese is so difficult.
Chinese Local: You can say that again.
6. Westerner: I feel like taking a break.
Chinese Local: That’s a good idea.
7. Westerner: China has a lot of problems.
Chinese Local: I don’t think so.
8. Westerner: Japan is our biggest competition.
Chinese Local: I’m afraid I disagree.